Saturday, August 12, 2017

Post #34 - Why Does Opening Day Come Out in July?

Today's post serves a few purposes.  First, to show off new cards (yay!). Second, to get back on the posting train, because I'm very disappointed in my attention to it. And third, to show off the fact that I finally have access to a scanner! No more crappy Samsung photos with glares and blurry details!  So, without further ado...

Normally I stay away from Opening Day, minus my PC's.  The cards are essentially useless knockoffs of flagship that come out way later.  At least release Opening Day first, since, ya know, that's in the name.  But seeing as they're just $0.99 a pack at the Casey's right down the road where I do much of my shopping, I've been picking one up here and there.  My total is four right now, and they really aren't nearly as bad as I anticipated, although they're certainly nothing special.

Pack One



A pair of White Sox rookies and a "Ballpark Eats" insert from Miller Park highlight this pack. I also had an Andrew Benintendi rookie from the Red Sox but that has already been pulled for a future trade package.  Best one for me is the Finnegan card; it will either be useful in my Reds collection when I get that organized someday (boy, how many times have I said that on this blog?) or useful for when I start my run of the Opening Day sets (an idea I've been toying with lately which may or may not happen).

Pack Two


Rangers Opening Day insert in here is about the only notable card from this pack.  While I believe Opening Day and Flagship have always used the same photography, didn't Opening Day used to also have identical numbering to Flagship as well? Regardless, I'm glad to see the stupid "OD-###" numbering is gone this year.

Pack Three


Another Opening Day insert, this time of the Yankees and Tanaka. As people have noted before, instead of player social media links on the reverse of Opening Day cards, we see the generic Twitter and Instagram hashtag #TOPPSBASEBALL. What purpose does that serve on every single card?

Pack Four


A second Ballpark Eats insert, this time from Kansas City (and it does look pretty good).  Also a Starling Marte blue "Opening Day Edition" parallel which if I understand it correctly is a print run of 2017. Back in the day, the foil parallel sets of Opening Day and Flagship used to be numbered on the back to the year (20xx). At first they were a gold stamp number, then it became black ink, and now it isn't on there at all. Keep getting lazier, Topps (I say as I buy four packs of Opening Day). 

All in all, I wouldn't consider these a total waste for only $0.99 a pack.  They satisfy the itch to crack some wax and if nothing else they provide trade fodder.  Speaking of, if anyone needs or wants any of the cards pictured here, let me know and I'll toss you a PWE next week.  I have no use for them as of right now, so you won't be hurting my feelings by making them disappear.

I'm off to continue to get my hockey collection organized so I can start downsizing it. If nothing else, I've found myself adding a handful of scans to the TCDB, so that's something. Thanks for reading and have a great rest of your day!

Jason

1 comment:

  1. I would be interested in the 3 Indians cards and the second Stadium Eats insert you pulled. You can email me at tim(underscore)gretchen(underscore)marriage AT yahoo.com and I can pass along my mailing address. Thanks, Tim

    ReplyDelete