Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Post #21 - Autographed Cards #1-3

I've been a little lacking in material to post as of late, so that's why you've seen very little from me. However, with the documenting of my autograph collection that I've been doing, I came up with an idea for some new posts that I'll start today.

I've hit dead ends right now for my 1994 Upper Deck Fun Pack and 1988 Fleer sets; I've done all I can and I still need to finish adding the inserts to my Fleer wantlist.  Once I got my most recent set of trade packages sent off, I decided to continue to add to my documentation.  As I was going through the autograph binder, I decided that it couldn't hurt to show these off, a couple at a time, when I don't have anything else to post about!

So, without further ado, here are autographed cards #1-3 in my binder (hmm, maybe I should do an autographed frankenset someday?)


Card: 1987 Topps #766

Player: Don Aase (Baseball)

Team: Baltimore Orioles

Obtained: Through the mail

Notes: Aase pitched in the majors from 1977-1990, with five different teams (Boston, California, Baltimore, New York Mets, Los Angeles). He was a sixth round draft pick in 1972, and went 0-10 in his first season of professional baseball. However, he would starkly improve, reaching the majors in 1977 and going 6-2 with a 3.12 ERA. After some injury trouble and a couple years out of the game, Aase would have his best year in 1986, earning 34 saves for Baltimore, then a team record. Injuries continued to nag him, however, and he would bounce around for a couple more years before calling it quits in 1990.  He finished his career with a 66-60 record and 82 saves, a 3.80 ERA, and 641 strikeouts.


Card: 1994 Upper Deck Collector's Choice #9

Player: Trev Alberts (Football)

Team: Nebraska Cornhuskers/Indianapolis Colts

Obtained: Through the mail

Notes: Alberts is currently the athletic director at the University of Nebraska-Omaha.  The fifth overall pick of the 1994 NFL draft, Alberts was named an All-American his senior year at Nebraska and earned national recognition for being injured but playing the national championship game with a cast on his arm (Nebraska would lose to Florida State, 18-16). Unfortunately for Alberts, he is largely considered a draft bust.  After being taken by the Colts fifth overall, he would battle injuries for three years before retiring before the 1997 NFL season.  Following his retirement, Alberts worked in media until 2009, when he returned to the state of Nebraska to become the athletic director at Nebraska-Omaha. In 2011, Alberts made the difficult decision to cut both wrestling and football at UNO in order for the school to make the jump to the Division 1 Summit League conference.


Card: 1996 Classic Visions Signings #69

Player: Chris Allen (Hockey)

Team: Kingston Frontenacs

Obtained: Pack/trade

Notes: Chris Allen is a name many have never heard of; he played in two NHL games for the Florida Panthers. Allen's career spanned from 1994-2004, but he never reached NHL stardom after being a third round draft pick of Florida, despite his shot being clocked at up to 103 MPH.  However, things seemed to work out okay for him; Allen was voted the 2008 Sexiest Vegetarian Next Door by PETA (out of 27,000 entries, whittled down to 16 finalists).

For me, this is actually really fun. I get to go back and research some of these players and see what they did.  I had no idea about Chris Allen at all, and even learned some new stuff about Aase and Alberts too.  That's going to do it for me this evening; I'm volunteering for field groundskeeping duty at the local little league from 9:00-10:00 tonight, so I've got to get some stuff ready.  Thanks for reading, and have a great night!

Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment