Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Post #16 - More from ACB and More 30 Day Challenge

I mentioned yesterday how I had finally gotten my hands on the box of cards from A Cracked Bat.  Although I went through them this weekend, it was really more of a cursory browse, a soft "ooh" here and there, that kind of thing.  Now that I'm back at school with a somewhat slow week, I can go through the box bit by bit, photographing different categories for organizational purposes, and most importantly, get the cards entered on my collection over at TCDB.  Today's entry of cards will focus more on Gypsy Queen, Allen & Ginter, Archives, and Heritage.

All of these cards are ones that I love, simply due to the fact that they usually make great signature cards, and there's something about the modern photography that makes Mookie Betts pop off of a card design that I'm used to seeing in dull, mundane, 1980s color.


These Allen & Ginter's are cards that I'm somewhat familiar with but don't have many of in my collection.  The Frank Robinson in the lower right is a Heritage design, and is one of the few cards (in my opinion) that combine the new card-old design with good retro photography.  For an example of what I don't care for with Hall of Famers on new cards, see the Duke Snider on the left.  It's okay, but who doesn't want to see the Duke lining a double at Ebbets Field on a full card picture?


The Rod Carew Gypsy Queen is a card that I'm hoping I can luck out with a signature on at some point.  On the right is my first taste of 2017 Heritage, in the form of the Reds team card.  This will slide nicely into my team card page in my binder, and I must say that just from this card in hand, I like the look of this years Heritage.  Also, the Reds don't get to celebrate much like that, so this is a pretty cool picture.


I really like these three Heritage cards.  Even though they aren't action shots, the basic card design screams to me that there shouldn't be action shots on there, so this works for me.




Finally, a multitude of Topps Archives from over the years.  These are my first Topps Archives (seriously, ever) and I have a few thoughts.  First of all, like I mentioned earlier, I like the modern photographs on the older card design.  But what I don't like is a big complaint for me.  Waaaaay too many different designs for a single base set.  I can't remember the details off the top of my head, and I've already put the cards away, but for example, the Mattingly, the Pillar, and the Thomas are all from the same base set.  That's very confusing, and I don't think it would be very eye appealing in a binder all put together.

Moving on from the new cards today, it's time for day 8 of the 30 Day Baseball Card Challenge.  The topic for today is "a card that reminds you of a family member."  This is a no brainer to me.


My little sister never got into card collecting.  She's more into horses and stuff, and I couldn't be prouder of her (she was just inducted in the national Junior College Honor Society).  But I certainly tried to share my collecting with her, and like any young girl (or young child in general, probably), she was attracted to any and all shiny cards.  No matter the sport, no matter the player, the shine was a magnet.  I could have posted any 1996 UDCC You Crash the Game, 1999 Upper Deck HoloGrFx, or 20xx Topps Chrome and it would have fit the bill, but I specifically remember her collecting this card and hoarding it from me, as if she knew he would be a Hall of Famer someday.  Maybe she's smarter than I even give her credit for...

That will do it for me tonight.  Back on the homework grind for the rest of the evening, and probably the week.  I hope everyone has a restful evening, and thanks for reading!

Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment