Monday, April 17, 2017

Post #15: My Fellow Collectors Are the Best...and More 30 Day Challenge

I hope everyone had a wonderful Easter weekend.  I've been pretty much off the grid since Thursday morning, so not only have I not posted in quite a while, I've hardly been able to read any blogs from anyone else unfortunately.  However, I did make some blog-worthy acquisitions this weekend that I wanted to share, plus I really need to get back to that 30 Day Baseball Card Challenge.

Let's start with the easy one.  Dad had picked up some packs from Dollar Tree down in Arkansas two weeks ago, and he pulled a couple of autographs that I traded him for.


Geronimo Allison (top) plays for the Packers; he attended Illinois and was signed as an undrafted free agent.  Kenny Clark (bottom left) was the Packers first round draft pick out of UCLA in 2016 and plays for them as a defensive end.  Tre Roberson (bottom right) started his college career at Indiana University before transferring to Illinois State.  He went undrafted but was signed by the Minnesota Vikings, and has bounced on and off of their practice squad ever since.  While none of these three are huge names, they are really nice additions to my autographs collection and I'm happy to have them.


Moving forward, I checked my mailbox at school this morning (I got back from family holiday last night at about 11:00) and I found a PWE.  Now, I'm expecting a trade from the TCDB, and I figured this was it, but when I saw the return address was from Marc at Remember the Astrodome, I was confused for a second.  I don't have nearly enough trades going on to get any mixed up, so what was this for?  I opened it up and found myself the recipient of a wonderful gift.


This 2004 Playoff Honors jersey card of Shawn Green marks my first memorabilia card in my Green collection.  I had absolutely no idea that it was coming and I'm thrilled to put it in my collection.


As you can see on the back, it's numbered 131/250, so I believe it's also my first serial numbered Shawn Green card as well.  Thanks a bunch Marc! I'm heading home in a few weeks so I'll be sure to put together a return package for you!


Finally, the newest addition to my collection will take a bit to post, so this part is really only part I.  You may remember a while back I mentioned that I had won a box of cards from Julie over at A Cracked Bat.  The box arrived a few weeks ago, but when I got home this weekend I was finally able to open it up and take a look at it.


All kinds of goodies were inside, from retired greats to current rookies, chrome, Reds cards (which I suspect may have been intentional), three new Votto cards for the PC, and what we're focusing on today...minis!



Is anyone familiar with the Helmar Minis? I know nothing about them at all.



These Panini minis are from the 2014 Golden Age set, and they all have different tobacco backs that I didn't bother documenting at this time.  There were some full size base cards from this set in the box as well that I'll get to another time.


I forgot what the back of these look like, but I'm pretty sure these are some 1986 Topps minis.  Correct me if I'm wrong? Love the Baines and Fisk (and those White Sox uniforms!).



Finally, we finish with some Gypsy Queen minis that because of my camera quality are hard to read.   But we see some of my favorites: Juan Marichal (top photo, second row, far left), Yordano Ventura (top photo, top row, far left), and Steve Cishek (bottom photo, second row, far left).  Thanks again for this box Julie; I'm looking forward to documenting the rest of them over the next couple of weeks.

Okay, final thing I feel that I need to get to today is the next installment of Tony's 30 Day Baseball Card Challenge.  I really want to see this through and I feel bad that I've fallen behind.  Shame on me.  Anyway, I'm going to make up some ground by cheating a little; I'm going to combine day 6 and day 7.  Day 6 is "a card you spent more than $10 on" and day 7 is "a card you bought in person and the story behind it."  Since I rarely buy expensive cards in person, I'm going to have to just do one entry, and it's a card I remember well.


Again borrowing from COMC here, I purchased this Early Wynn jersey card at the age of about 11 or 12.  There was always a booth in the commercial barns at our county fair, and the guy had some pretty nice cards.  I remember that the listed price was $20, but I talked him down to $18 (not bad for a kid, eh?).  It irritated me a little when he tried to explain to me that it was already in a great case and not to take it out to play with.  First of all, kids will do what they want with cards, and I'm a believer in that.  Secondly, if a kid can talk you down on a jersey card of a Hall of Famer, they might be smart enough to keep it stored properly.  But hey, that doesn't matter in the end.  So there you have it; two more days down in the 30 Day Challenge.

This might be my longest post yet; hell, maybe I should just write a book about this stuff instead.......or not.  Anyway, I've got a bit of a lighter week, so hopefully I'll be back tomorrow to show off some more of Julie's cards and another installment of the 30 Day Challenge.  I hope everyone has a great rest of the day, enjoy the baseball that is now on everyday (oh happy days! Although the Reds hot start appears to have been just a tease...) and thanks for reading!

Jason

3 comments:

  1. Great Blog!! That was amazing. Your thought processing is wonderful. The way you tell the thing is awesome.

    Packers And Movers In Kolkata

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally catching up - glad you liked the Green! When I heard he was one of your guys I knew exactly where the card belonged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries. Your reply made me realize that I should post another entry, if for no other reason than to let people know I'm still out here!

      Delete