Sunday, April 2, 2017

Post #10 - Scratching the Itch

I'll admit it; sometimes I'll read other blog entries, and I get it.  The itch to open some packs just to see what's inside of them.  That itch struck me Thursday night, so I drove across the street to Wal Mart and picked up a pack of 2017 Topps and a hangar pack of 2017 Donruss.  I had to get some other things as well, so it wasn't a big deal, and I'm pleased with what I've picked up.  First, the Topps.


My first Reds card of 2017! Well, not entirely; in my first pack of the year I pulled a Scooter Gennett, but he's shown with the Brewers but signed with the Reds last week.  Brandon Finnegan came over from Kansas City in the Johnny Cueto trade, and I love watching him pitch.  I'm really excited to see how he can help the Reds rotation this year.


I think that's my second Jake Lamb card from this set, but I could be wrong.  The Dioner Navarro card shows him as a Blue Jay, but he's currently a free agent.  If he signs with someone I may still get it signed TTM (I don't generally send TTM to Canada).


I've seen a lot of pictures of this Howie Kendrick card floating around, and I've got to say that it's one of the best pictures I've seen on a baseball card in a long time, even though the Robbie Grossman on the left is a pretty good picture too.


Finally, two inserts that were buried in the middle of the pack.  If anyone wants the Ichiro, let me know and it's yours (but I'm also listing it on my tradelist at the TCDB, so it may not be around long).  I'm going to send the Plesac along with another card or two to the MLB Network studios to see if I can get him to sign it.

The Donruss pack contained 30 cards and I really didn't know what to expect.  I've liked what I've seen from other collectors so far this year, but that can always change when you get a card in hand. 





Here are the 22 base cards from the pack.  Trout and Kershaw are always great pickups, and it's fun to get a Hall of Famer like Roberto Alomar as a base card in a set, rather than an SP or a parallel.  My favorite was the Adam Duvall; it's my first Duvall card and I'm still debating on starting a PC of him.  His upside is enormous and I'm really hoping he'll be in Cincinnati for years to come.


This insert set is meant to be designed like the 1983 Donruss set.  It reminds me of what Topps is doing with the 1987 set again and again, as well as other sets from the 1970s.  Not a bad little insert; again, the Smith and Biggio are fun pulls, and another Kershaw and Donaldson make two of each of them from the same pack.


The final two cards were a Moncada rookie (which I can't really complain about; let me know if you want it) and the shiny Mark Trumbo insert/parallel that you see here, numbered out of 999.

However, there is one odd thing I noticed on the back of the Duvall card; his is the only card from my pack that's like this.  I saw a thread over at TCDB concerning this as well, and never really heard a definitive answer.  Check out his stat line:


I'm not sure if Panini put that as a placeholder and forgot about it or what.  Like I said, Duvall was the only card I pulled from this pack that was like that, but I've heard of others.  Can anyone enlighten me some more?

That wraps up today's post.  If you're interested in any of the cards above, make me an offer and we can talk.  Otherwise, I'll be back tomorrow with another installment of the 30 day baseball card challenge (luckily it isn't consecutive days).  As always, thanks for reading and have a wonderful evening.  Enjoy baseball being back, and if you're not a Phillies fan, my Reds could use all the support they can get!

Jason

6 comments:

  1. I always have that itch. Some days I do better and containing it. This weekend was not one of those times! I too opened my first pack of 2017 Donruss and I loved what I saw...very reminiscent of 1990 Donruss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very much like 1990 Donruss. I'm a little partial to that set, as my dad bought me an entire box for $10 in a old hobby shop years ago. I hardly even notice the lack of team logos.

      Delete
  2. I'm interested in the ichiro. I am (passively) working on that set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shoot me an email with your address and I'll try and get it in the mail this week.

      jasongerman9@yahoo.com

      Delete
  3. I still think the "need stats" line is an error even though some in that thread thought it was intentional. Just sloppy copy editing by Panini

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my thought too. Someone in the quality assurance department is getting reprimanded for this one!

      Delete