Thursday, March 30, 2017

Post #9 - 30 Day Baseball Card Challenge: Day 2

Our challenge for the second day of the 30-day baseball card challenge is to post a card with more than one player on it, and for the second straight day, the main feature (at least for me) is a Blue Jay.

1994 Topps #237
This 1994 Topps is in my collection solely because of Shawn Green making an appearance.  If you aren't sure why I collect him, I suggest you check out my "About Me" page.  However, let's take a quick look at these other three players.

Curtis Pride was born deaf from rubella, and is apt at reading lips.  He signed with the Mets but made his ML debut in 1993 with Montreal.  He was never a regular starter, instead spending much of his career as a pinch hitter and defensive replacement.  Pride finished his career as a .250 hitter with 20 homeruns in 421 major league baseball games.  He is now the head baseball coach at Gallaudet University in Washington, D.C.

Mark Sweeney is another former player well-known for pinch hitting, as he is second all-time in ML history with 175 hits and first all time in pinch hit RBIs with 102.  Sweeney was a Golden Spikes Award finalist at the University of Maine before being drafted by the California Angels in the 9th round of the 1991 MLB draft.  Sweeney made his MLB debut in 1995 with the Cardinals.  He would end up playing for 7 franchises in his 13 year career, and is now doing analyst work for FOX and FOX Sports 1 shows.

Eddie Davis is a curious addition to this card.  Unlike the other three players pictured, Davis never made it to the show, rising as high as AA baseball in 1997.  He was a 61st round draft pick out of Cerritos (CA) College by the Seattle Mariners, but passed and was drafted in the 23rd round out of Long Beach State by the Dodgers in 1993.  His best season came in 1996, while playing for San Bernardino of the California League; he hit .256 with 34 doubles and 29 home runs, while collecting an OPS of .824.  Davis would hang up his cleats in 1999 after two seasons of unaffiliated baseball.

I hope you enjoyed a small lesson in baseball history.  I certainly learned a couple of new things today myself, which is always nice.  I have family coming into town this weekend and I know I have some items in the mail, including a box I won from Julie over at A Cracked Bat, so I'll be featuring those over the next couple of weeks, as well as trying to keep up with this 30 day challenge, and a new trade on the TCDB.  Good thing I love this hobby, eh?  Everyone have a wonderful rest of your day!

Jason

3 comments:

  1. I was *this* close to featuring this for my day 2 card, as well. How funny! Great card, tho. I really like the multi-player prospect cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to steal your thunder! If I had more of my collection here at school with me, I would have had a wider selection, but I am happy with the card that I chose. Gotta love when no-namers get their cardboard fame next to future Hall-of-Famers (not this instance, of course, but I know it has happened!)

      Delete
  2. I like this pick.. Then again, if it was going into my collection, I'd need two.. Not an issue when it's Green/Pride.. But more difficult when they throw guys like John Scott with Andre Dawson lol

    ReplyDelete