Monday, March 13, 2017

First Post...A Small Trade

Welp.  I'm going to try this blogging thing.  I've been reading a lot of them lately since re-dedicating myself to the collecting hobby in January, and rather than continue to clutter up the Facebook group I so fondly read or the TradingCardDB forum boards, I figured maybe I should give this a go.  I definitely won't be posting every day right now; maybe not even weekly.  I don't have many of my cards here at school, and my time is currently limited.  However, this summer I hope to change that and really get into things.

First things first - packages sent out! Today, I was able to drop some cards to P-town Tom over at Eamus Catuli!  I had some 2017 Topps Cubs cards that he said he was interested in, and I threw in something else that I'm sure he can find a use for.  Be on the look out soon Tom!

I've also got one sealed up and ready to go to Billy Kinglsey.  Billy has recently gotten into collecting the NHL, and I've got some duplicates headed over his way that I'm sure he can find some good use for.  Hopefully I can get that sent out within the end of the week.

Now, onto what was IN my mailbox today.  I picked up a small trade package from Kaline6 over at TradingCardDB.  I sent him a 2015 Topps "Highlight of the Year" Babe Ruth in exchange for these three cards.  Sorry for the poor quality; a scanner is currently non-existent in my life, and I recently got a new phone with a subpar camera.


The Posey on the right will make a wonderful addition to my player collection.  The Barbaro Garbey on the left will join his 1986 Topps card in heading to the Danville Braves this summer, where he is a coach, in search of an autograph.  The Bill Dawley card in the middle has a funny story to it.

Almost a year ago to the day, my girlfriend gifted me with a 1988 Fleer factory set she had picked up at an antique barn.  I'm not much of a set collector, so I intended to mail out the cards from it for signatures TTM.  I sent the Dawley and a Rocky Childress out over winter break in January, and I received them both back signed nicely in black sharpie.  But when I was thinking about how to manage my collection recently, I made the decision to go ahead and start some set building; nothing serious, but projects with a reachable goal.  By that, I mean that Derek Jeter has some 14,000 cards; I'll never collect them all.  But I could certainly put some complete sets together!

Anyway, the point is that Kaline6 helped me get one of the two missing pieces of the 1988 Fleer set that I needed! Yeah, I didn't fully "build" it, but I kind of am now, right? Regardless, I'll have a complete 1988 Fleer set as soon as I get a replacement Rocky Childress.  Now what's next? Maybe 1987 Topps? I guess I'll figure that out next time I buy a factory set!

Thanks for reading; hopefully I'll have more good stuff soon.  I'm heading home to Michigan for the day on Sunday (about a 5 hour drive; leaving Saturday night after our double header for baseball, and returning Sunday evening), and I know I have a huge stack of envelopes waiting for me there.  Maybe I can spread those out over a few days so that I have some content for a while.  Here's hoping everyone has a wonderful week!

Jason

6 comments:

  1. Welcome to the Blogospehere Jason! Watch out, it's addicting :) And this marks the first time I've been mentioned in a debut post too, I think! I'll have you added to my blogroll shortly. Hope to see lots more posts in the future

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Billy! I've entered you on my blogroll too; congrats on completing the NASCAR project recently!

      Delete
  2. Welcome to the blogosphere! I too have added your blog to my blog roll and I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tony! I've been reading yours almost daily since January and I gotta say, for a Cubs fan, it isn't bad ;)

      Delete
  3. Hi Jason! Welcome aboard. I've definitely got a few cards to send your way. What's your handle at TCDB?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My handle is jasongerman9. Take a look at my trade list and feel free to set something up! Loved the blog post about the holiday cards today.

      Delete